Children of the 2020s Study

Advice Information

Here are some websites and numbers you may find useful for advice on the range of issues included in the study. If you have any concerns about your or your child’s health and wellbeing, we recommend that you talk to your health visitor or GP. You can also find general health advice on the NHS website.

General advice

Family Lives provides support for all elements of family life. Call the free helpline on 0808 800 2222 (Mon-Fri 9am-9pm, Sat-Sun 10am-3pm), or visit the website to find advice on a range of aspects including sleep, health, development, and bonding with your baby.

Home-Start helps families through sending trained volunteers to visit and offer compassionate support to parents. Find your local Home-Start on their website.

Gingerbread supports single parents via online resources, forums and local support groups. Find out more on the Gingerbread website, or call their free helpline for single parents at 0808 802 0925 (Mon 10am-6pm, Tues/Thurs/Fri 10am-4pm, Wed 10am-1pm & 5pm-7pm).

Each local authority in England has an online Family Information Service, with local information and advice for parents. Search Family Information Service plus your local authority to find out more.

Your child’s wellbeing and development

For advice on how to develop your child’s speech, reading and communication skills, please visit:

Start for Life ( is a trusted source of help and advice during pregnancy, birth and parenthood, providing evidence-based information on health and development.

The NHS website ( has advice and information about a variety of topics, including feeding your child, looking after your child’s teeth, autism and developmental delay or learning disabilities.

The Cry-sis helpline is available for those having trouble with a crying or sleepless baby on 08451 228 669 (7 days a week, 9am-10pm; calls cost 2p per minute plus standard network charge). Cry-sis also has resources on their website.

For advice and information about your child’s sleep, please see the tips on the NHS website.

Financial support

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) can offer independent advice on a range of issues including housing, debt and consumer issues. You can find out more, including where your nearest CAB is, on the CAB website. To speak to someone about money issues, call CAB’s national phone service - Adviceline on 0800 144 8848.

Healthy Start provides financial support to buy healthy food, milk, and infant formula. Eligibility for the scheme includes pregnant women (at least 10 weeks into pregnancy) and families with a child under 4 years old claiming certain benefits. Visit the NHS Healthy Start website to see if you qualify.

The Trussell Trust offers guidance for those in a financial crisis. Call the free helpline on 0808 208 2138 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm). To find your local foodbank, visit the Trussell Trust website.

Childcare Choices is a government scheme offering parents help with childcare costs. Visit the Childcare Choices website to find out what help you may be eligible for.

Smoking, alcohol and drug abuse

For help quitting smoking, the NHS provides guidance on its website, where you can also identify your local Stop Smoking Service. You can call the Smokefree National Helpline on 0300 123 1044 to speak to a trained advisor (Mon-Fri 9am-8pm, Sat-Sun 11am-4pm).

Drinkaware offers help to anyone worried about their own or someone else’s drinking. Visit their website, call the free national alcohol helpline, Drinkline, on 0300 123 1110 (Mon-Fri 9am-8pm, Sat-Sun 11am-4pm), or use the online chat service, Drinkchat, on the website (Mon-Fri 9am-2pm).

Talk to FRANK offers free confidential advice on drugs and alcohol. You can email, text (on 82111), phone on 0300 123 6600 (24-hour helpline), or get advice via webchat on their website

Safety and mental health

If you are concerned about domestic violence, please contact Refuge on the free 24-hour National Domestic Violence Helpline 0808 2000 247.

Mind provides advice on a range of mental health problems, including the types of mental health problem; where to get help; medication and alternative treatments; and advocacy. Visit the MIND website or phone 0300 123 3393 (9am-6pm, Mon–Fri).

Start For Life also has useful information and sources of support for parents experiencing mental health difficulties. For more information visit the Start for Life NHS website.

Young Minds: For advice on children and young people’s mental health, please visit the Young Minds website, or call their Parents Helpline on 0808 802 5544 (9.30am-4pm, Mon-Fri).

The Samaritans provide confidential support for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair. Freephone: 116 123 (24-hour helpline).


Cruse Bereavement Support: provides support for all types of bereavement or grief.
Helpline: 0808 808 1677

Child Bereavement UK: families can find help to rebuild their lives when a child grieves or when a child dies.
Helpline: 0800 02 888 40

The Compassionate Friend: provides support and care of bereaved parents and their families who have suffered the death of a child.
Helpline: 0345 123 2304

The Lullaby Trust: provides confidential bereavement support to anyone affected by the sudden and unexpected death of a baby or young child.
Helpline: 0808 802 6868

WAY, Widowed and Young: offers a peer-to-peer support network for anyone aged 50 or under when their partner died.

The Good Grief Trust: provides support for people coping with loss if your husband, wife or partner have died.

Samaritans - 116 123 (UK)- For anyone at anytime for any reason
Childline - 0800 1111 - Support for 18yrs & under and their relatives

Key resources

Download a version of the above information here:

Back to top